3 day Beginners & Beyond Patchwork & Quilting
During the three days I will introduce students to basic patchwork & quilting skills including using the rotary cutter, choosing your fabrics, colour (which is so exciting and inspiring, it does not have to be difficult, colour should make you feel happy), simple machine piecing which isn’t scary and is stronger and quicker than hand piecing so it means you can get to the best bit,….. quilting quicker! I will have basic designs and instructions for 2 quilts either the flower bed quilt or I love quilting till the cows come home, these can be either copied exactly or taken as inspiration, should you wish to add simple appliqué that is also fine. It is very hard to get to actually make a quilt in three days but we will also do samples of hand and machine quilting, for you to ponder on.
- Basic sewing kit including rotary cutting set if available but I do have them to borrow, sharp scissors, tape measure.
- Threads to blend with your colours I like a 50 weight thread either gutterman or metler or aurifil
- Sewing machine in good working order with instruction book
- Selection of cotton fabrics if wishing to do the flower bed quilt it should be nearly possible to make it in the days you need the following……. 8 prints with mixed pale floral backgrounds (fat quarter of each), ¾ of a metre of plain linen or fabric with a slight texture, 2 metres striped/floral fabric for borders and binding.
- I love quilting to the cows come home just random selection of fabrics with big patterns small ditsy checks plaids plains, if you choose one quite patterned fabric you can then match to it, but it good to have a wide selection even if some pieces are small, you need a couple of high light fabrics to make the quilt zing.
We have a shop full of lovely fabrics so don’t worry if you don’t have it all in your stash!