Register your interest and sign up for the waiting list
Patchwork and Quilting Part 2
This will be a follow on from beginners where we will move on to triangles and quick piecing techniques to help you achieve more advanced designs, as always it is the play with colour and design that makes the quilt and I will explain how I try to blend and shade quilts without using complicated designs. It is always possible to sew by hand but I find most students prefer to use their 1/4” foot, which is even more helpful and important when sewing triangles, the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy!
- Basic sewing kit to include: paper and fabric scissors, pins, sewing threads to match or grey or colour to blend with all, for piecing, also to match your appliqué fabric
- Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, Ruler (Omnigrid type) if you have to bring with you, if not you can borrow or purchase in our shop with 10% discount if you buy all three.
- Sewing machine, in good working order with instruction manual (optional can sew by hand)
- Template card/ Cereal pack is fine, fine black felt pen, Pritt stick or glue, pencils and note book
- Fabrics: You will need approximately 2-3 metres in total made up of scraps, whatever colours you like, this can be one range of colours like all soft pinks, or mixed brights, whatever you fancy, don’t be afraid to add in odd bits of fabric that you have as long as they are cotton and not worn out including stripes and checks. NOT HEAVY LINEN OR VELVET AS IT IS HARD TO SEW. If you would like to make lap size quilt you will only need about 1.5m i.e. 6 fat q’s then approx. 1m for the outer border and long quarter of .25cms for small inner border. Can use pre-cut charm pack or layer cake.
- You can use left over fabrics for the back or I will explain how I make my backs as you probably wont get to it on the day.
- 16” sandwich quilt sample in old fabric just to have a practice quilting if you have, if not we can provide..
- Quilting threads: cotton perle or Guterman (probably not used on the day, but I will recommend how to quilt and what to use)
We have an extensive range of fabrics, threads, wadding and equipment in our well-stocked shop